Saturday, August 25, 2012

Echo Park Layout Tutorial by Guest Designer Steffanie Seiler

Welcome our Guest Designer, Steffanie Seiler back today with a Echo Park Everyday Eclectic layout tutorial.
I think pinwheels are so cute.  I have been wanting to make them for the longest time and keep forgetting!  This was my first real try at them and here is my how-to...
  • Punch out a few squares from double-sided patterned papers that coordinate with your project.  I used 2 sizes:  1 1/4" and 1 3/8".
  • Using a ruler, draw light pencil lines from corner to corner, both ways.
  • Cut in from corners to about 1/4" from center.  Erase pencil lines.
  • Place a glue dot at center of square.  Begin curling in same corner toward middle on each of the 4 wedges, sticking to glue dot.
  • Add button or other decorative element to center.  Done.  So simple and so cute!

 I love the feel that stitching adds, whether it be by hand or by machine.  In this instance, I chose machine.  With this paper collection and the layout I had in mind, I knew I wanted to be more playful with my stitching.  So rather than create straight stitch lines, I moved my cardstock back and forth under the needle to create wavy lines.  I went around 3 times to get the effect I wanted.  It also serves to frame my layout.


The remainder of this layout is mostly just about cutting strips of paper in varying widths and lengths and layering them. This created a "foundation" for my photos and journaling block to sit on.


One thing I love about Echo Park collection kits is that just about everything you need is in the kit.  Patterned papers, sticker embellishments and at least a couple of different alphas.  All I added was a cardstock base, a few small buttons, dimensional adhesive, a bit of baker's twine, some lined paper for  journaling and a decorative border punch.  One thing I have learned about pre-made embellishments or stickers---don't be afraid to alter them.  The "today" sticker on the clouds was embedded in a larger sticker embellishment.  It didn't work for me, so I just cut out the part I wanted.

Here is the finished layout along with some close-up views...





I have enjoyed sharing my projects with you and I hope that I have inspired you to create TODAY!!  Now go have some fun!!!

Visit Steffanie at her blog, Life of a Brown Eyed Girl, and follow her on Pinterest!

2 comments:

  1. Another adorable project! Love the pinwheel and love the pops of color on the craft.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is fabulous! I love the kraft paper with the tones of the Eclectic. Thanks for great inspiration!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your feedback! We love hearing from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips